Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 12:35:11 CEST
From:      Mitja Horvat <mitja.horvat@hermes.si>
To:        void <float@firedrake.org>, Mitja Horvat <mitja.horvat@hermes.si>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE problem writing to async mounted filesystem

Hi,

> There's no reason to use softupdates and async together.  SU gets you
> the same benefits, but much more safely.

You are right... I thought async was only for data updates, not metadata
too...
Thanks for clearing this out...

As I understand SU, it's just a method to do metadata asynchronously in a
safe way,
so using noasync with SU does still have a point?

> > This does not happen if the fs is mounted synchronously, but I also get
> > MUCH slower IO
> > throughput(800kb/s compared to 12MB/s with async).
>
> Mounted sync or noasync?  They're not the same thing.

It was mounted async. I mounted it noasync and it behaves much better...
It's not as responsive
as when mounted sync, but the throughput is 12MB/s.

Thank you for your help,
Mitja