Date:      14 Mar 98 21:43:53 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   telnet and login as root

At 14 Mar 98 15:53:21 Ken Ninh wrote regarding telnet and login as root

 KN> Hello - I am unable telnet and login as root.  Is this a
 KN> restriction of freeBSD?

No, that's a standard restriction on unices, because of security. If you really
want to bypass, you must be root, and then edit /etc/ttys, change /dev/console
to secure.

 KN> Currently, I am able to login as myself but not able to
 KN> 'su root' with the correct root password:
 KN>
 KN>    "not in the correct group to su root"
 KN>
 KN> I made a mistake when setting up my user account during freeBSD
 KN> installation.  I cannot get to the system console 'til Monday.
 KN>
 KN> Is there any way to get around this?  Please help, Thanks.

Hopefully there are no way around it.

As far as the machine can see, you are a nasty hacker who are trying to get
access to the innermost holy without the proper right, and it'll try its
outmost to keep you out until he-who-must-be-obeyed (root) comes to the console
and tell it otherwise.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---