Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 00:43:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      GWIS - Dan Roberts <ddr@gwis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why is restore so much slower than dump?

I'm using a DDS-3 drive to backup files using rdump between two private
100Mbit ports on a switched network.  Dumps are fairly quick, but now I'm
trying to restore a filesystem and it's going deathly slow.  It's obvious
from the slowly flickering drive activity and nic card lights that the
efficiency of this operation could be greatly improved.  Does anyone know
what the problem is, and if there is anything I can do about it?

--
Dan Roberts, Systems Engineer                Voice  800.656.GWIS
GWIS Internet Solutions                      Fax    330.656.5440