Date:      Sun, 8 May 2011 15:58:09 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Damjan Marion <damjan.marion@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Embedded switch instead of stadard PHY

On 8 May 2011 01:22, Damjan Marion <damjan.marion@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to implement support for embedded switch on WRT350Nv2 router=
 which is based on 88F5181L SoC (ARM). FreeBSD already have support for emb=
edded gigabit card (if_mge) but in case if this router MAC is connected dir=
ectly to 8-port ethernet chip (88E6131). If I use MII_PHY_ANY scan founds f=
ollowing PHYs on miibus:

There's been some discussions in the past about how to implement a
switch PHY API for use by the variety of embedded switch devices out
there.

There's been a few attempts at it too.

What I think may just be a good first step is to port over the Linux
driver for it and instead of trying to make it appear as a multi-PHY
device, just export a programming and status interface via sysctl.
That at least gets the thing in the tree and functioning. Once we have
a few devices in the tree and functioning, we'll be in a better
position to have a discussion about how to represent it.

There's a couple of dissenting views about how it should be
implemented. I'd like to see some working code in the tree so some
discussion can occur, rather than lots of dissent and no discussion.
:)

(The switch phy is the last remaining bit of the board support for a
handful of boards too, so I'd really like to see it completed. :)

Adrian