Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:18:28 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "Robert L. Bostic" <neozulu@attbi.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Monitor & video configuration on a laptop

<snip>

> > > I successfully installed FreeBSD 4.6 on a Sony PCG-FXA47 laptop.
> > > However,  I was unable to find a monitor and video card setting
> > > that will allow me to startx. Startx fails complaining of being
> > > unable to find a usable configuration. After several days of trial
> > > and error, I was compelled to give up and conclude that 4.6 has no
> > > monitor/video card settings compatible with my laptop. Does anyone
> > > know of a work around that I use? Thanks.

> > For starters, what is the model number of the video card? Who
> > makes it? Also, dont worry about the monitor definition. That is
> > generally not a problem at all.

> The information you requested is as follows:
>
> Card model: ATI Rage Mobility-M1 AGP
> Ram: 8.00 MB
> Driver: ati2drab.dll
> Driver version: 6.13.10.5779
> Resolution: 1024x768x60 hertz
> Bits/pixel: 32

Fantastic, now we have some info to start looking up. This has now
been forwarded to freebsd-questions for now, people with similar
hardware should also be able to tell you how they got it working.

Also, was this install an upgrade? Did you have an older version
of X11 on this box? If this was an install on a new box, try
changing to roots home directory and do 'XFree86 -configure'.
The machine is going to try and configure several things. When its
done, it should tell you how to launch X-Windows with the new
config file.

> Any assistance that you can render will be greatly appreciated.

Thats what some of us are here to do.

> > > Robert
> > > neozulu@attbi.com

Also for reference, some mailers do not automatically reply to
all senders. Make sure that the mails also get sent to the mailing
list as well.