Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:51:42 -0700
From:      Joseph R Lewis <sharktooth@innocent.com>
To:        Matthew Luckie <kluckie@ihug.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bpp xfree86 startx

I didn't see a reply to this, so I thought I'd take a stab at this.  I'm
running 4.1.1-release on my laptop, but I couldn't get X running on it
correctly.  So, I cheated, and installed Redhat Linux 6.2 for a brief spell,
and the automaticly configured X file was copied over to BSD.  It works fine,
now.  Kinda crazy, but it should all function the same.  Here is the screen
definition from my XF86Config file.

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "NeoMagic (laptop/notebook)"
    Monitor     "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    DefaultColorDepth 16

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

EndSection

Notice the "DefaultColorDepth 16" line.  I'd never seen that before, but the
configuration is acceptable to the X server, so I'm not complaining at all.
I think that is the solution you were looking for.

Joe
Web Developer, About, Web Services Division