Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2021 12:20:50 +0000
From:      Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Handbook, ports and the transition to Git

On 07/03/2021 11:06, LuMiWa via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hi!
>
> FreeBSD 13 is coming and in chapter "Using the Ports Collection" is
> still "Procedure: Portsnap Method".
> It will portsnap stay part of FreeBSD still. please? If not why is
> nothing about git?
>
> Thank you.

Hi

The transition is progressing, not complete.

For what's not yet in the Handbook, unless advised otherwise please make
<https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs#readme>; your first point of
reference; there's a big picture document with dates, and so on.

<https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/search?q=portsnap>; no
mention of portsnap, however if I recall correctly, this was discussed a
few weeks ago in freebsd-current (maybe also in freebsd-questions).
Expect support for use of portsnap to continue for some time beyond
completion of the transition.

HTH
Graham