Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:34:14 -0800
From:      Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Error message from Apache/named

I've been getting a message or two a day of the following type from a
system (2.2.7S) running Apache 1.3.3 with named as a caching-only
nameserver (primarily for reverse DNS for web logs):

Nov 10 11:37:30 test httpd: gethostby*.gethostanswer: asked for
"66.158.114.164.in-addr.arpa IN PTR", got type "SIG"

When I do a reverse lookup manually on the above IP address, I get "no A
record available" from nslookup, but dig -x shows a bunch of garbage
characters.

Does the above error mean anything more than that that the lookup failed?

BTW, most of the bad lookups are for 164.114.xxx.xxx .

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna