Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:47:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        bsd-freak@mbox.com.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load Averages etc.

Michael Nottebrock wrote to bsd-freak@mbox.com.au and freebsd-questions@Fre...:

> [...]

Unless I'm really misunderstanding you in some weird way, this is wrong.
In any case, I don't feel it's a very clear explanation. ;-)

As someone else has pointed out (and I think we just kicked this around a
week ago or so--check the archives), the load averages represent "the
average number of processes in the run queue"... The number of programs
currently waiting to execute code.

The problem is, these numbers are--for practical purposes, anyway--highly
qualitative, not quantitative. Across diverse systems, the same load
average will mean different things. If you have one process that is
thrashing the disk, your load average might be around 1.0, and your system
very sluggish. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to have a dozen
processes waiting to execute, but not witness much of a slowdown.

So, the load average on one system will NOT produce the same symptoms on
another system. Load averages ARE, however, good for analyzing the load of
a particular system over time.

> Greetings,
>
> Michael Nottebrock

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon