Date:      11 May 1999 21:49:53 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, paul@originative.co.uk
Subject:   Re: [Re: Request For Better Communications]

unknown@riverstyx.net writes:
> Pardon my ignorance -- Sioux DoS?  Never heard of that one.  I'm surprised
> that they'd actually ignore patches for something that important...

They fixed the Sioux DoS by restricting the size of the request
headers. The patches I sent were an attempt to fix the real cause of
the problem, rather than one of its symptoms (the problem being a
severe memory leak) by implementing the equivalent of free() for the
pool system, and calling it at certain strategic places. To the best
of my knowledge, they never applied my patches - all I got was an
'acknowledgment of receipt' of sorts. I haven't looked at Apache
lately - it's horribly bloated IMHO, and I never switched from 1.2.x
to 1.3.x - but my guess is the MIME parsing code still leaks like a
sieve (it keeps discarding allocated strings without freeing them).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no