Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:42:03 -0500
From:      "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        "'F. Xavier Noria'" <fxn@retemail.es>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: re-installing the FreeBSD MBR.

Ok, I've decided GRUB might be the best way to go for a boot manager for
my dual WinXP/FreeBSD system, but I'm having problems getting the grub
utility installed.

Here's how my system is currently set up, and how I have to get to each
operating system now:

Hard disk 1: Windows XP Pro with the windows boot loader
Hard disk 2: FreeBSD with the FreeBSD boot loader

In order to get to FreeBSD, I need to set the second hard disk as the
bootable device.  To get to Windows XP, I need to re-set the first hard
disk as the bootable device.

Following the grub installation instructions, I've copied stage1,
stage2, and *stage1_5 into the /boot directory and then issued the
following commands with the following results:

# grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/had
BIOS drive not found

# grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/ad1
BIOS drive not found

# grub-install --root-directory=/boot '(hd1)'
BIOS drive number not able to be verified.

I'm kind of at a loss here.  Following Xavier's advice, I tried using
the Windows XP procedure with the following boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\free.bsd="FreeBSD"

The FreeBSD entry shows up in the boot menu, but, when selected, stops
on an error that it can't find hal.dll.  From what I can ascertain about
the lingo Microsoft is using, my FreeBSD system actually resides on:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)

I don't think I can use this lingo, however, since Windows doesn't know
how to read the FreeBSD file system to locate the image.  The
/boot/boot1 file was copied to c:\free.bsd.

Please help me!  Arrgh.

Eric F Crist
President/Sys Admin
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc