Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:08:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        Zak Johnson <zakj@fenris.cc>, FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Complex routing for a firewall

n Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> [...]

Ahem, well, in my experiences, ISP are usually staffed with the most
under-knowledged , technologically incompetent IT staff.

Take one *excellent* example of how not to do things.  I just set up two
DSL links.  They gave us a static IP, and their internal network (over
DSL) is 10.10.x.x.  That sounds just peachy, right?

Well, think again.  During PPP negotiation, I get my IP (209.167.x.x) and
my default gateway, which is 171.68.187.1.  The only problem is that this
IP is in a netblock owned by Cisco (and according to hostnames in a
traceroute from a different ISP, it's somewhere in the Bay area, which is
about 3000 miles away from me.)

I figure the only reason this works is that none of their customers are
running routing daemons.  (I would hate to see what would happen if I
started up routed and accidentally dropped Cisco off the 'net.  I asked
the tech dude and he said "oh, don't worry, that's on our private
network".  Yeah, whatever.

So, unless you have the luxury of working with an ISP that employs staff
who know the basics of IP networking, watch out for wierd and wacky
configurations that work, even though they shouldn't.

--
Matt Emmertonk