Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 96 19:02 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any ideas about this crash?

[6]This Pentium internal timer is USELESS as a
[6]TOD timepiece!  Stop using it this way!   It is only good for relative
[6]measurements within the processors realm.

[7]"USELESS" might be a little strong - it does have the merit of being a
[7]very fast, "accurate", and easy way to do time measurements.

That's why I said what I said above.  For measurements of relative
times within the processor, its ok.  The moment you leave that context
and try to use it to compare between different brands of machines or
hold it against an external clock standard, it is useless.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"Your choice: FreeBSD or
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | Bob-Pro.  See, that wasn't so
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)| tough."   (C) July 1995, FDIV
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |