Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:35:54 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        lance@dallypost.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resolv.conf missing

Lance Earl <lance@dallypost.com> wrote:
> I am planning to convert my redhat server (www.dallypost.com) to 5.x
> freebsd when 5.x is released as stable. Until then, I am working with
> 5.1.2 to get familiar with it.
>
> I have installed it on a dhcp network with the following:
>
> dhcp server: 192.168.0.1
> fedora computer: 192.168.0.2
> bsd computer: 192.168.0.3
>
> >From the v 5.x computer I can ping 182.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.
> When I try to ping 192.168.0.3, the ping fails. I can however ping
> 192.168.0.4 successfully. I cannot ping anything on the Internet.

Does 'netstat -rn' show a default route?  If not, then you need to set
one in /etc/rc.conf (or using sysinstall).

I'm a little confused, though.  Are you using DHCP?  If so, the DHCP
server _should_ set all this for you.  (Although a DHCP server doesn't
_have_ to set all this, it sure defeats the purpose if it doesn't)
If you're not using DHCP to set the network information on the BSD
machine, you'll need to manually add a "defaultrouter=" statement
in /etc/rc.conf, and manually create /etc/resolv.conf (or you can
use sysinstall to create them)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies