Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:00:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        oneiros <oneiros@elend.fremde.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ultra 160 and performance

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> fdisk -s the disk on a machine that can read it and make sure that the
> partitions end on hard head boundaries.  There is a bug in FreeBSD,
> introduced recently (just before 4.1R) that causes it to write
> somewhat bogus partition tables that some bioses just hate to boot.
> Others boot them just fine.
>
> Yes, patches are being reviewed right now, and should hit the tree
> soonish.
>
> Just a thought.

Surprised heck out of me, I figured anything that happened before FreeBSD
could even boot couldn't possibly be FreeBSD's fault.

da0 is the old 4G, da3 is the new one:

ROOT:/usr/src:106 >fdisk -s /dev/da0
/dev/da0: 525 cyl 256 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63     8467137 0xa5 0x80

ROOT:/usr/src:103 >fdisk -s /dev/da3
/dev/da3: 2231 cyl 255 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63    35840952 0xa5 0x80

It doesn't look like that's the problem, but it was probably worth posting
just in case someone else was scratching their head over it.  Besides, if
I move da3 to be on the DK440LX's 7895 (ch A, like da0) and have it
replace da0, it boots on the 7895 just fine, it just won't boot on the
29160.  I've been wondering if there's some sort of upper limit of the
number of disks that the system can see (I have 2 on 7895 ch A and 3 on
7895 ch B) so the 29160 starts off as the 6th disk.

The BIOS is very intelligent, it recognizes the 29160 and allows me to set
the drive 0 on the 29160 as the boot drive, but when I do that, it just
hangs, no boot.

Chuck Robey             | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org| electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.