Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:45:57 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@well.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: banner(6)

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> types:
> James Howard said on Apr 18, 2001 at 09:31:56:
> > What other character pairs are there?  I flipped through a couple books
> > and only found "fi".
> fl, ff, ffi, ffl.  But Adobe fonts seem to include only fi and fl.
>
> I can live without the other ligatures, but "fi" without a ligature
> looks really ugly to me in many fonts (like times roman) -- the clash
> between the top of the "f" and the dot of the "i" is jarring. And "ffi"
> with only the last "fi" ligatured looks ugly too.

Get the expert collection for the font in question; they usually
contain all those goodies. As well as nice things like non-lining
figures and proper small caps sets.

> I think it would be really neat if some future office suite
> used a properly ligatured "ffi" in its logo....

So do I, but I'd put money on MS losing the desktop first. The desktop
publishing revolution has pretty much killed good typographic
practice.

	<mike