Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:36:29 -1000
From:      Robert Marella <rmarella@gmail.com>
To:        paul thodiyil <pthodiyil@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: creating gnome desktop shortcuts for floppy, DVD rom and compact flash card reader

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:15:21 -0500
paul thodiyil <pthodiyil@gmail.com> wrote:

Format Recovered...Please do not top post.

> On 11/3/05, Robert Marella <rmarella@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 02:41:24 +1100
> > paul thodiyil <pthodiyil@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know how to create shortcut icons to the gnome
> > > desktop for commonly used devices such as floppy drive; cd/DVD
> > > rom drive and USB compact flash card reader.
> > > FreeBSD 6.0 RC1; AMD64
> > > Many thanks
> >
> > mkdir ~/Desktop/floppy
> > mkdir ~/Desktop/dvdrom
> > mkdir ~/Desktop/flash
> >
> > Speak the magic incantation "Beastie is better than any stinking
> > logo"
> >
> > The icons will appear on your desktop as folders. Right click the
> > folder and choose properties and you can change the icon.
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > Robert
> >
> Robert,
> thanks. I chanted ten times, but I was only able to create desktop
> folders with these names (floppy, dvdrom, ...). I could not get get
> them to 'mount' the device. For. eg i placed DVD in the drive,
> clicked on the newly created DVDROM folder on the desktop - but did
> not reveal the DVD contents.
>
> I must have done it wromg. Any more help?
>
> PT

The folders/icons will only display contents after mounting. i.e.
mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 ~/Desktop/flash or some such CLI, depending on
the device and fs type.

man mount.

Some on this list use automount. I prefer to manually mount all
removeable devices and can not give any help for automounting.

For dvd's or cd's they must be data discs. Music cd's can not be
mounted. Movies on dvd's can be mounted using mount_cd9660. I am not
sure but I believe that is for dvd ripping. Others on this list are
more knowlegeable than I.

The last sentence may qualify for the understatement of the year. :)

Good Luck
Robert