Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:31:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
To:        roman@xpert.com (Roman Shterenzon)
Cc:        matrix@ipform.ru (Artem Koutchine), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Encrypted networked filesystem needed

Actually, let me be a bir more specific about my "You'll like
SFS" comment.

SFS provides an encrypted _and authenticated_ networked
filesystem.  With tunneled NFS, you're exporting a fair bit of trust to
the remote host to which you're exporting a filesystem (unless you're
incredibly agressive about mapping away bad UIDs).  Furthermore, the
systems must have the same UID:username mappings.  With SFS, you get
per-user cryptographic authentication remotely, and you can access the
machine from any client machine, not just the other end of the encrypted
tunnel.

So depending on which model you want (NFS like, or more kerberos-like),
either ipsec+nfs or SFS would be better.

  -Dave

work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/