Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:44:58 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Stephane Legrand <stephane@lituus.fr>, Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOSIX for FreeBSD?

On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 02:41:49PM +0200, Stephane Legrand wrote:
> Alex writes:
>  > I don't know if anyone on this list even reads Freshmeat, however, I was
>  > browsing it, and something quite interesting popped up.  Named MOSIX, it's
>  > a set of patches for load balancing clustering.  It looks pretty
>  > interesting if you've got the spare HW to setup a cluster.  Sure, it's out
>  > for Linux (or will be soon), but it was originally designed for BSD/OS 2.
>  > Perhaps someone is interested?
>  >
>  > http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/
>  >

> Have you tried to contact the MOSIX authors to ask them if they have
> plans to make a port to FreeBSD (or others *BSD) ?

This subject came up at the June BAFUG (Bay Area FreeBSD Users Group)
meeting. According to Jordan Hubbard, he has had several conversations with
the MOSIX people and they were not responding as in they were not much
interested.

MOSIX uses the network cards from Myrinet (www.myri.com) as the bases of it
system. We have a driver for these cards and there is a version of MOSIX
for 6 machines based on BDSI. This version is in the form of source code
patches to BSDI 2.x and 3.x.

Anyone feeling lucky ?

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses