Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:00:48 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Theo Bell <freebsd@cfdnet.me.tuns.ca>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>, tw@ettnet.se, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: html-editor

Hi,

> > There is no such thing as a WYSIWYG editor for html.  Html
> > is a markup language (that's what the ml stand for) not a
> > layout language.
>
> That's funny MS FrontPage and Adobe's GoLive sure look WYSIWYG to me.
> They both let you toggle in to HTML mode to add things manually but
> that is like using a hex editor to create c :).

I think what he meant by "no such thing" is that every browser displays
things differently.  Things that look okay in Netscape often don't display
the same in IE and vice versa. Using WYSIWYG editors is often misleading
because you assume that the page will always be displayed the way you see
it.  Besides, HTML tags are that bad. Not nearly as bad as using a hex
editor to write C.

Also, the WYSIWYG editors usually make HTML code that is a mess unless
used carefully.  If you look at it, there are usually dozens of
unnecessary font tags and stuff like that.

Theo