Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:47:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Hamilton Hoover <hamilton@twopoint.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance comparison.

Hamilton Hoover <hamilton@twopoint.com> types:
> > HI!, there is a performance comparisson between an Intel CELERON
> > Processor
> > at 600 Mhz and a Pentium III Xeon at the same speed (600Mhz)?
> >
> > I ask this because am going to buy a processor for a FreeBSD
> > system, it will
> > be used has desktop (some times) and home server (Proxy server for
> > other 3
> > computers with Win98, maybe this FreeBSD server will be used has a
> > Web
> > Server and SQL (Postgress or solid) Server in the near future.
> > This server will have 1 64 MB DIMM  or 128 MB DIMM and a IDE DISK
> > SAMSUNG
> > with 10.2GB
> Have you priced a Xenon? Think about what you want your system to be
> able to do. The Xenon is the better chip but at a huge cost difference.
> You may want to think about getting the celeron pumping up the memory
> and going scsi before you go with the Xenon. IMHO

That's Xeon, and yes, I know what they cost. I also know that my Xeon
systems is a screamer.

Actually, going scsi and more memory isn't the only choice. You can
trade clock speed for internal cache at a fixed price point for the
CPU (motherboards may be another problem). I.e. - for around $80, I
can get either a 700MHz Celeron with 128K of cache, or a 450MHz Xeon
with four times the cache. For another $20, I can double the cache on
the Xeon.

The question is - which is going to be better for the application mix
*you* want to run?

	<mike