Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:17:34 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: little package mysteries

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 06:24:38AM -0700, Thomas Dean wrote:
> Look at 'man pkg_create' and 'man pkg_add'.  I just noticed that 'man
> pkg_add' on -current will close an xterm.  If this happens, do it on a
> console.  'man pkg_add' has a fair description of the process, under
> technical details.

Thanks, but I read those man pages daily for two weeks before I even
dared mention it here. I have taken copious notes, puzzled over them,
and tested out those parts that I wasn't sure of. I have also dissected
every atom of about fifty packages to try to figure out the things I
couldn't understand from the man pages, before daring to mention it
here.

I know about the check to see if the required packages have already
been installed or not. I know that if the package is already installed
it will skip that required package, and if the package has not already
been installed it will try to install it. Aha, try to install it,
THAT's the bit I need info on.

When it tries to install another package (having first established that
that other package has not already been installed), where, oh where,
does it look for that package. Where does it expect the package to be
physically located. Not the record of its being installed, I mean the
actual package.

Are you with me so far? Good, let's go on anyway.

If it can't find a required package, will the installation be cancelled
or will it proceed with a warning? Or could it be made to go either
way, and if that is the case, what determines which way it goes?

You seem to have lost the text of my original question which said this
in far fewer words. I'll dig it out and repost it for you.
If you do have an answer, could you please quote the question you are
responding to.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-