Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:52:23 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

Josef Grosch writes:

> > > There is probably not a single Wal-Mart or K-Mart in the continental US
> > > that doesn't sell "deer whistles" to be mounted on your front bumper.
> > > The theory is a deer will run from the right high pitched whistle as
> > > some vehicles were observed to be hit by deer very rarely, and guessed
> > > this was due to their sound.
> >
> > I am well aware of these devices and their purpose.  I have heard that
> > they do work.  I have racked up about 100,000 miles driving between
> > Minneapolis and Milwaukee, a 750 mile round trip, and have yet to hit a
> > deer. That area of the state has a very heavy deer population.  I don't
> > use whistles.  Maybe I am just luckey or careful and have some knowledge
> > of what to look for when deer are present.  A lot of those miles were
> > driven in the 90 mph range.  Course I also drive race cars, not as much
> > as I use to, which may account for alertness and quick reactions.
> >

> I do not agree. My first wife had one of those things on her car and in the
> 4 years she had the car she must have hit 2 deer a year. The car was
> trashed by the time we got rid of it. It became a standing joke with the
> local police to ask her if she had a permit to hunt deer with her car. ;-)
> My experance is that those devices have no affect weither you hit a deer or
> not. I have known people who had them and never hit a deer and people who
> had them who were getting their limit every season using their car.

Plainly we need a new federal agency for regulation and certification
of "deer whistles". Furthermore they should trap and test all deer to
make sure their hearing is good. Obviously if the deer's hearing isn't
good enough to hear the deer whistles, man must be at fault for making
too much noise and/or pollution. Congress should appropriate money to
remedy this terrible ill. Hearing aids for deer!