Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:43:30 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Peter Shpak <s_ain_t@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE + HP DeskJet 820cxi problem

> From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 05:47:52 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Peter Shpak <s_ain_t@yahoo.com> types:
> > hello.
> > i have an HP DeskJet 820Cxi (a win printer) and i am
> > running 4.2 Stable. I have configured apsfilter, but
> > it does not print the test page. the printer is
> > recognized during bootup. dmesg points out that it is
> > connected on ppbus0. But sending text files to
>
> Since it's a win printer, you may be out of luck, just like win
> modems.
>
> However, all apsfilter does is arrange to turn things into postscript,
> then send them through ghostscript telling it to render for your
> printer, and send the results of *that* to the printer. If ghostscript
> doesn't recognize your printer, you're going to have problems getting
> much beyond flat text to print. apsfilter should have used the list of
> devices from gs to generate a list of printers for you to check
> from. Did you find your printer, or one you knew it was compatible
> with? If so, you might try using lpr to get the ghostscript printer
> driver working.

Just to avoid confusion, the 820cxi is NOT a winprinter. It uses PCL3
and is supported with the hpdj add-on to GhostScript. apsfilter has it
in its device list.

Also, when you copy a file to the device, don't forget to put a <FF> on
the end. (Brute force of 'cat - /dev/lpt0' followed by Ctrl-L and
Ctrl-D will work.) Don't expect anything readable as there will be no
returns in the output, but it should print something.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)