Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification...again

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Mike Avery wrote:

> Lots of anti-certification people are motivated by the sour-grapes
> syndrome... "I can't get it, therefore it must not be any good".  And
> many people overlook what the certifications were intended to do.

Not hardly, TekMetrics offers free certification; try it out
(www.tekmetrics.com).  It's a fucking joke.  Not only does their whole
registration process fail to work properly (hey, I got a transcript id of
0; which is apparently invalid :) ), but their tests are a joke.

For the hell of it, I took the OOP/C++ and Linux Administration tests. I
know less about the anal retentive univ. level C++ "science of desiging a
program" than I do about Linux; so it's easier for me to grab questions
about the Linux test and say they were stupid.  But considering that they
had a handful of questions (out of 65) that related purely to C, I was
disappointed.

The Linux Administration test was far worse.  It covered a lot of topics
most, if not all, garden variety admins would never need to know (namely
X) in depth; and had a single question pertaining to Apache, one to Samba,
and two about filesystem names.   The crowning blow was the last question,
which asked about the difference between Gnome and KDE.

I haven't taken any pay certifications (well, gosh, on a student's budget
that comes as no suprise to me).  But, I figure, the comercial ones can't
be that much more useful; and if your employer/employer-to-be really wants
you to be certified, they might even offer to pay the costs related with
getting you certified.  Also, I sincerely hope that Tekmetrics never,
ever, creates a FreeBSD certification test, it would only be comparable to
a black eye.

- alex

You better believe that marijuana can cause castration.  Just suppose your
girlfriend gets the munchies!