Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:00:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Danny McQuade <dmcquade@techie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DSL + NAT Probs

Hi. I recently got Bell Atlantic Infospeed DSL service installed in my home
and I got PPPoE working great under FreeBSD 4.0. From the FreeBSD machine
it's self, PPPoE is flawless and I can take full advantage of the DSL line.
Before this I was using NAT with a dial-up connection, and that worked great
for connecting the other machines on my home LAN to the internet. Now,
however, I am finding some real problems with connecting to the internet
from a machine other than the FreeBSD box directly connected to the DSL
modem. It seems that I can connect to a number of random hosts/network
services. For example, the only websites I was able to connect to from my
internal FreeBSD box were www.rootshell.com & www.earthlink.net. The other
sites I tried would either be uncontactable, or netscape would just sit
there displaying 'Transfering data' in the status bar.
I seem to be able to connect to any machine's SMTP server without trouble.
This problem is really driving me nuts, because I first I thought there was
a bandwidth problem on the NAT server, but while exploring the rootshell
site I was able to download and view very large text files at DSL speeds. As
I said, I am running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE on the NAT server, using PPPoE to
connect via the DSL modem. I have set 'gateway_enable' to YES in rc.conf,
and I have enabled an 'open' firewall as well. Any suggestions regarding
this matter would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Danny McQuade
dmcquade@techie.com