Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:34:31 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cd9660: device busy

I hadn't had need to use the cdrom since early December, so I was surprised
when I tried to mount a cdrom and got the error message "cd9660: device
busy." I had a lot of trouble with the cdrom not being detected under
4-STABLE, so have stuck with 4.1-RELEASE. The cdrom was working fine and I
don't know of anything that's changed.

The cdrom is used as an NFS filesystem by another server, but is not
automatically mounted -- it is currently *not* mounted on the other system.
Mountd is running.

I have the following line in /etc/fstab:
	/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

From dmesg:
	acd0: CDROM <CD-ROM Philips PCA402CDA> at ata0-slave using PIO4

I've tried the commands
mount /cdrom
mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

All with the same result: device busy.

I tried going to /dev and rm acd*, followed by ./MAKEDEV acd*

Is there a utility which will identify which processes are using which
files/devices? I ran across a posting in Deja News that Sun has a utility
called fuser that does this, but it doesn't exist (at least under that
name) in FreeBSD.

Cand anyone suggest other troubleshooting steps I might take, or any
tutorial which discusses possible causes of obscure error messages?