Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:54:34 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        cvsup-bugs@polstra.com, roelof@eboa.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

Dan Langille wrote:

> Please have a read of http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/current.htm and
> give me your feedback.  Tell us if you think that's enough for a newbie to
> get cvsup running.

I'm ba-a-ack <g>. Wiped the disk and began anew.

<<I changed the base directory where the status files will be maintained.
Don't forget to create this directory.

        *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup>>

You might want to explain that what it does is create a /sup subdir
in which it stores checkout information per release. As well as that
the only reason to change it from /usr to /usr/loc... is, well, ...
what exactly? Surely not tradition coz that would be /usr/sup <g>.

<<I'm behind a firewall, so I used the following command to start my
update (you need to do this as root).

        cvsup -P - stable-supfile>>

That reminds me. I'm behind a firewall, too! Hm. This time I went the
/etc/make.conf - talk about an undocumented feature! - route. Which of
course does not mention the firewall bit. Ah well. Maybe that is why
it deleted nearly all of my ports collection. Can't imagine this not
being a FAQ, but it isn't.

Also, why nada about the -g -L2 options? They get mentioned all over
the place so why don't you?

But now on to the serious stuff. Having checked both FAQ, Diary &
Manual I used the following:

/etc/make.conf:
SUP_UPDATE=     yes
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2 -z
SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/forseti
SUPFILE1=       /usr/share/examples/cvsup/secure-forseti

/usr/share/examples/cvsup/forseti:
*default host=cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all

/usr/share/examples/cvsup/secure-forseti:
*default host=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-crypto
src-eBones
src-secure

went to /usr/src and gave 'make update' only to see it starting deleting
my bleedin' ports collection! cvs-all and the crypto stuff went fine.
No prolem. But the ports... all wiped clear.

Sample output:

  Delete ports/x11-wm/xfce/pkg/COMMENT
  Delete ports/x11-wm/xfce/pkg/DESCR
  Delete ports/x11-wm/xfce/pkg/PLIST
 Shutting down connection to server
 Finished successfully

So why did the ports-all update fail? I'm currently re-installing the
ports collection, but will have to CVSup again for apache will not
compile. Or rather, since it didn't exactly fail, why did it successfully
wipe my ports collection instead of updating it?

Another question is is it possible to change default hosts in the
midst of an update script? I now got two script files and it would
be nice to combine them. Like, say:

/usr/share/examples/cvsup/forseti:
*default host=cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all
*default host=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.org
src-crypto
src-eBones
src-secure

It sounds contradictory to 'default' but will it work?

Roelof

PS 3.1-RELEASE GENERIC
PPS ran it again with -P - but with the same result.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.