Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:21:38 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Theo Bell <freebsd@cfdnet.me.tuns.ca>
Cc:        Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>, tw@ettnet.se, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: html-editor

Theo Bell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > There is no such thing as a WYSIWYG editor for html.  Html
> > > is a markup language (that's what the ml stand for) not a
> > > layout language.
> >
> > That's funny MS FrontPage and Adobe's GoLive sure look WYSIWYG to me.
> > They both let you toggle in to HTML mode to add things manually but
> > that is like using a hex editor to create c :).
> >

> I think what he meant by "no such thing" is that every browser displays
> things differently.  Things that look okay in Netscape often don't display
> the same in IE and vice versa. Using WYSIWYG editors is often misleading
> because you assume that the page will always be displayed the way you see
> it.  Besides, HTML tags are that bad. Not nearly as bad as using a hex
> editor to write C.

I agree. Using a hex-editor was an unfair comparison. I think
programming in assembly language versus one of the higher languages is
a fair comparison.  Just like you can program loops-tighter in
assembly language, your HTML is tighter when you create the HTML
directly. The time spent generating HTML manually can also be much
longer. I have seen HTML errors in a complicated table structure that
was generated by hand in a NIR web site. Where the errors were located
weren't obvious and only GoLive caught them. Netscape didn't work and
that was the first clue.

GoLive has a lot of things that it does well that FrontPage can't
touch. FrontPage works on Windows 2000 and GoLive looks really bad. I
was in the process of trying FreeBSD programs such as bluefish and
found that my CDROM was broken by one of the recent changes to
atapi-cd.c. That was fixed and now I have seen a couple more programs
to try.

FWIW, I test from a different computer in both IE and NN mode because
of the vast differences in capabilities. The most common but different
feature I've seen is how they treat tables. The capabilities are not
comparable. I also stay away from the unique features.

> Also, the WYSIWYG editors usually make HTML code that is a mess unless
> used carefully.  If you look at it, there are usually dozens of
> unnecessary font tags and stuff like that.

True. But I can't tell the difference in the load time over the
Internet on my computers. That isn't to say that slower machines
wouldn't produce significantly longer load times. I just couldn't see
the difference.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart