Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:38:38 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reason for doing malloc / bzero over calloc (performance)?

Garrett Cooper wrote:
>    Title says it all -- is there a particular reason why malloc/bzero
> should be used instead of calloc?
> -Garrett
As someone just brought to my attention, I should do some Googling.

Initial results brought up this:
<http://boredzo.org/blog/archives/2006-11-26/calloc-vs-malloc>. I would
like to provide results for CURRENT, but I don't know offhand what C
interface right supports nanoseconds or microseconds precision timing in
FreeBSD (apart from just doing nanosleeps, which isn't such a great idea
and can drift I would think due to clock skew). The original author's
solution is for Mac OSX only :(..

I think it's decided though -- calloc for now wins over malloc / bzero,
so I'm going to change that alloc/bzero to reflect the change.

-Garrett