Date:      31 Jul 1998 21:10:32 -0400
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        dan early <dan.early@mail.sprint.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI bus question

"dan" == dan early <dan.early@mail.sprint.com> writes:

> I built an SMP dual Pentium II 266Mhz system with an onboard Adaptec
> SCSI controller, 128 Meg memory and a Quantum Fireball 6.4 Gig
> Ultra-wide SCSI drive. This has the 50 pin wide flat cable. A cd
> drive is also chained on the bus.

If you are using a 50 pin cable, I would bet that you are using a
narrow drive.  The wide scsi cable on my box is about 1/3 the width of
the narrow scsi cable, but has smaller wires (it's really cool, you
can see through it).  If I remember correctly, wide SCSI uses 68 pins.

> When I start the BSD installation from CD, it sees no drives.

At a wild guess, I would say you are using a 7895 controller?  If so,
you need the CAM SCSI interface.  Poke about on the archives to
instructions how do make CAM work (this really should wind its way
into a FAQ!)

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;