Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:35:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some serious gripes about `fdisk' and also `booteasy'.

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> This had bitten me twice now.
>
> Will whoever is supporting/maintaining the `fdisk' program *PLEASE* fix it
> so that it displays some sort of a warning when the user is just about to
> partition a SCSI drive for which the on/off status of BIOS address trans-
> lation (for disks larger than 1GB) _cannot_ be automatically and properly
> determined by fdisk itself?

One piece of advice often given is to put a dos partition on the disk
(it can be deleted during install if wish) to assist with determining
the correct geometry.  I've installed FreeBSD on probably a close to
a dozen scsi hard drives and never had this problem.  I didn't think
bios address translation was relevant for scsi drives, in any case.

Try the dos partition.

	Annelise