Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:23:12 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jean-Christophe Varaillon <jcv@vbc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: - TFTP: Time out -

* Jean-Christophe Varaillon <jcv@vbc.net> [010305 10:17] wrote:

>  +-----------+           +------------+
>  |FreeBSD 4.1|<--------->| Cisco 3640 |
>  +-----------+           +------------+
>
> I want to transfer a file from the FreeBSD machine to the Cisco.
> My  machine is configured as a TFTP server and the cisco is "configured"
> as a client.
>
> The TFTP communication is stopped because of a timeout.
>
> Why should I have a timeout ?

Because afaik tftp has a really terrible client/server notion,
there's no good way to tell if a client has 'gone away'.  Without
the timeout, if a client was to disappear the tftpd server would
hang around forever.

> BUT, I can transfer a files from the Cisco to my machine witout any
> trouble.  at this moment, the cisco is configured as a TFTP Server, and I
> think that my machine also, but it reacts as a client.

You should probably be able to fix this by changing the value of
"TIMEOUT" in /usr/src/libexec/tftpd/tftpd.c, then doing this in
/usr/src/libexec/tftpd:

make ; make install