Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:53:46 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        vanya <UnixDaemon@vicard.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DMA on ATAPI CD's [ Was Re: About printers ]

Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 05:09:35PM +0300, vanya wrote:
>
> <snip> (Best to keep unrelated questions in seperate posts).
>

>>And one question about DMA for EIDE disks and ATAPI CD. Is DMA automatically
>>enabled or user must turn on this option?
>>

> I believe DMA is not enabled on ATAPI CD devices, I believe it is
> considered a source of possible instability in certain cases (I know
> of no proof for this..) .. you can forceably re-enable it by an entry
> in sysctl.conf. I have 2 IDE i/faces, with a hard drive and a CD/DVD
> on one slave and a CD R/W on another. My line looks as follows:
>
> hw.atamodes=dma,dma,dma,dma
>
> You will need to adjust this according to your actual IDE setup,
> (i.e. how your ide's are actually configured)...
>
> "man 8 sysctl.conf" may help.

They have add some additional ways of dealing wiht UDMA. For example,
my system with a UDMA dvd player shows up with

opal:kent> sysctl -a | grep ata
kern.ipc.max_datalen: 156
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
hw.atamodes: dma,dma,dma,dma,

It is the master on the secondary controller.

The atapi setting was set in the /boot/loader.conf as

loader.conf:hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

It shows up in my dmesg as

acd0: DVD-ROM <ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X Maximum> at ata1-master using UDMA66

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA