Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2005 02:07:03 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA power savings...

--nextPart3647600.lZSE4fOD0M

Hello,

since ataidle from ports doesn't work with ATAmkIII I listened very careful=
=20
to another thread on a local mailing list and found a very interesting=20
hint:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D65621+0+archive/2003/freebsd=
=2Dfs/20030413.freebsd-fs

It describes that (back then) some disks have a "delayed write" feature.
But much more important, there's a patch included which tells atacontrol=20
how to spin disks down.
I guess this was for ATAng.

Is there any reason not to include that into ATAmkIII?

Now that we have such a nice cpufreq meta driver in RELENG_6 I'd really=20
love to see the hungry HD spin down, ideally managed by powerd ;)

But even if the "delayed write" feature is problematic, the ataidle feature=
=20
really should make it into ATAmkIII before 6-RELEASE IMHO...

Thanks,

=2DHarry