Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:17:12 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Imagemagick doesn't know about freetype2 ...

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 01:11:50PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
> > Ade Lovett wrote:

> > > This is a known problem.  XFree86 4.mumble, in it's infinite wisdom,
> > > includes freetype2 (it used to be worse - only bits of it), however,
> > > the current incantation misses out the rather useful 'freetype-config'
> > > script.
> > >
> > > Adding -I${X11BASE}/include/freetype2 to the CONFIGURE_ENV line in
> > > the Makefile is one way around it.
> > >
> > > The other is to clean up the whole freetype2/XFree86-4 mess.
> >
> > Unfortunately jmz doesn't show any willingness to do a messcleaning, so
> > 4.3 is likely to be shipped with this nasty bug. :-(
>
> Okay, I might be missing something, but why is shipping freetype2 with
> XFree86 a bad thing?  Just cause it doesn't do the freetype-config script?
> If so, can't it be added to the port itself?

And what about the many ports in the tree which want to use FreeType 2,
but do not really need X?  Should they be made dependent on X then?
Or would there be two installed versions of FreeType on the system,
possibly built with very different options?  That would quickly lead
to trouble :)  (well, maybe not in the FreeType case, but.. I wonder..)

G'luck,
Peter

--
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on