Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 05:11:16 -0500
From:      Daniel Hagan <dhagan@colltech.com>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd 4.2 ipfw natd

Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> ------------------
> # FTP - Allow access from our LAN to External FTP servers
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any    to any 21         setup
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any 20 to any 1024-65535 setup

This would make the firewall transparent to ftp sessions in _both_
directions, not just from your lan out.

> # FTP - Allow access from the net to our FTP server
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any        to x.x.x.x 21     setup
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from x.x.x.x 20 to any 1024-65535 setup

FTP is a crappy protocol to packet filter.  I'm not familiar with the
issues involved, but I believe proxy servers located in a DMZ (or
integrated into the firewall) are a much better solution than packet
filters.

Sorry I can't give you a more detailed explanation.

Daniel