Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2014 15:35:31 +0100
From:      Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pkgng | Compiled versions download

Polytropon:
> Combining those methods has been possible for decades, but emphasizes
> that you know what you're doing. :-)

Jep - for me is was just running a batch that ran for over 7 years
without problems. Upgrading to another way of processing forces me to
raise my learning curve by doing things of which I am not yet certain I
know what I am doing.

> If I read this correctly: You have previously been using compiled (by
> you) versions of the mentioned programs, and pkg didn't upgrade them?

I use the following method:

#
svn update /usr/src
svn update /usr/ports
svn info /usr/src
svn info /usr/ports
#
cd /usr/ports
make fetchindex
cd /usr/local/etc
portsdb -fu

after which I report myself by email and do a manual portmaster -a
(previous portupgrade -a) to get synced very day.

> Tools like portmaster can be used here. They allow you to
> control if programs should be updated binarily or from
> source. This of course requires your /usr/ports tree to
> be up to date. See "man portmaster" for details, especially
> the -P and -PP options.

Thanks for this. Will check that out (too).

Best regards,
Jos Chrispijn