Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:30:25 EST
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dial in only works for a while

** Reply to note from Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr> Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:42:44 +0200

>Hi,

Thanks a lot, this solved it, at least for now. However I'm quite sure that this will happen again, so I'd like to
go through it all in order to solve it for good sooner or later.

>        Same pattern of garbage when pressing a key usually means wrong speed
>in most cases, or parity/stop/start/data bits.
> It could be your serial port or your modem at your end or remote end.

Ok, I was also quite sure about this.

> Next time try and use -s
>115200 with cu. That would set the serial port speed at 115200 and see
>what happens.

In fact this helped (I used 57600, but that's not the point).

I don't really understand the reason why either the modem or the serial port would change their setting spontaneously.

Let's deal with the serial port: it's initialized at boot time by rc.serial, so a reboot should have set it up right.
In any case wouldn't "sh /etc/rc.serial" be enough to solve the matter in case for some reasons it wasn't
properly configured?
Besides, stty showed a speed of 57600 bps, so I think it was not the problem.

The modem: doing an ATI4 shows a speed of 57600 (obviously after issuing cu -s), while ATI5 shows 9600 and 115200
respectively for the two stored profiles. But again, now that it is working at this speed, why should it change?

Furthermore, I often find that cu will only run once; after that, I get a "line in use" message, although ps shows no
process using /dev/cuaa0 (there is getty on /dev/ttyd0, but that's also true the first time I run cu). Is there
anything I can do to solve this without rebooting?

 bye & Thanks
        av.