Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:25:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        Lorin Lund <lorin_lund@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA - Cardbus - what is the difference and what is supported?

On Thursday, 17 August 2000 at 19:44:01 -0700, Linh Pham wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Lorin Lund mumbled:
>
>> I have a notebook computer (Compaq Presario 1200 XL 118) that claims to
>> support CardBus so I bought a CardBus LinkSys 10/100 ethernet card.  The
>> list of cards that are supported lists LinkSys 10/100.  The card worked with
>> win98 before I wiped it out to load FreeBSD 4.0.  FreeBSD doesn't recognize
>> the card.  But then I get the same message with the Xircom Modem which
>> doesn't claim to be CardBus.  I suspect I might have some of the
>> specifications on my pcmcia controller wrong.
>
> The original PC Card (or PCMCIA) bus is 16-bits wide and uses 5V
> whereas CardBus is 32-bits wide and runs on 3.3V.

PCMCIA cards can use either 3.3 V or 5 V.  pccardc dumpcis will tell
you which.  For example, for my modem I get:

Tuple #6, code = 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 19
    000:  e0 81 9d 5f 55 4d 5d 26 36 35 fc 14 aa 60 f8 03
    010:  07 24 28
        Config index = 0x20(default)
        Interface byte = 0x81 (I/O)  wait signal supported
        Vcc pwr:
                Nominal operating supply voltage: 5 x 1V
                Minimum operating supply voltage: 4.5 x 1V
                Maximum operating supply voltage: 5.5 x 1V
                Continuous supply current: 2 x 100mA
                Max current average over 1 second: 3 x 100mA
                Power down supply current: 3 x 10mA
        Wait scale Speed = 1.2 x 10 us
        Card decodes 10 address lines, 8 Bit I/O only
                I/O address # 1: block start = 0x3f8 block length = 0x8
                IRQ modes: Level
                IRQ level = 4
        Max twin cards = 0
        Misc attr: (Audio-BVD2) (Power down supported)

> CardBus cards are generally faster, uses less CPU cycles, draws less
> power, and sometimes can cost more.

More importantly, we don't support them yet.

In general, you should be *very* careful in purchasing PCMCIA cards.
There are a large number out there which we don't support.  Lorin,
you're going to have to wait a while before you can use that card
under FreeBSD.  If you're interested, join FreeBSD-mobile and note
what's going on there.

Greg