Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 13:19:00 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-docs@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install Preview (was Re: (was) I'm leaving, now something like "anti official docs rant" :) )

--==_Exmh_751432316P

If memory serves me right, Randy Pratt wrote:

> I used XV to capture the html table views and convert them to 8 bit png
> images. These were used instead of the html tables to ease the conversion to
> sgml. If you take a look at the source of the 4.2 previews, the tables would
> be difficult (if not impossible) to convert to sgml and a problem to maintain

That was going to be my next question.  Looking at the 4.2
previews...the thing that was hard for you to do there is what <screen>
</screen> is designed for.  Well, mostly.

> I'm not familar with sgmy (yet) so I'm probably not the best to answer that.
> The PNG formats produced views similar to those that would be seen by a new
> user.  It was my intention to get as close as possible to what they would
> see. If the <screen></screen> would do that, then its a possibility.

Except I just realized that it won't handle the colors, which IMHO are
actually sort of important.  So maybe that isn't such a great idea.

(BTW I just treated SGML as a funny-looking HTML.  ELNOTESng was my
first project with SGML and DocBook, so let me know if you need another
SGML newbie's perspective.)

> I hope other formats can be produced since I've had a few requests for them
> in the past.

Assuming you are (or will be) using the DocProj infrastructure, then
when you go to build the rendering from the SGML source, just do:

	% make FORMATS=pdf

Some other valid and interesting values are "ps" and "txt".  Note that
FORMATS= is a list, so you can actually do something like:

	% make 'FORMATS=html pdf txt'

> Where the documents reside is probably best decided by those more familar
> with the doc project and what best suits the needs of new people. We should
> get all the mileage possible out of them.

Agree 100% with your last sentence.  But I'm betting you also have some
thoughts about how we do this.  :-)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_751432316P

--==_Exmh_751432316P--