Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:17:08 -0500
From:      David Ward <David@intelemedia.com>
To:        "'Blake R. Swensen'" <blake@pyramus.com>, David Ward <David@intelemedia.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SendMail 8.10.0

>I was able to install sendmail 8.10 on both 3.4-RELEASE and 2.1-RELEASE
>environments with very little problem. The only real hang-up was getting
>new sendmail.cf file to carry configurations over from the old versions.
>These I changed manually..... one piece of advice, from one NT admin to
>another:

>Before you go any further, download, and install WebMin
>(http://www.webmin.com/).  This is a FANTASTIC tool for admin-ing any
>Un*x system, and will help you configure your sendmail (after install).
>Many, many thanks to the Webmin folks!!

Oh MY GOD...webmin rocks!!!!!

>Now, I'll tell you what I did on my 2.1-RELEASE box, which had the
>hang-ups because it was running sendmail 4 (or some such really old
>sucker). The newer systems were much easier because there were prototypes
>for all the config files.

well..I'm trying to get a handle on the config file as I don't have a

>Unlike really old versions of sendmail, the config file (sendmail.cf)
>likes to live in the /etc/mail directory, as opposed to /etc.  Once I
>figured this out, the rest was simple.

>Make a back-up of your sendmail.cf (and any other relevant files) and
>/usr/sbin/sendmail... if this breaks, you'll want to be able to back-track.

>Then download the tarball from senmail.org and untar it somewhere on your
>system.  If you don't know how to do this, you're in a lot of trouble
>already, and you should hire a consultant ;)

got this part done...no need for a consultant here...suprise suprise..

>Kill the sendmail process that is running.

don't have it running

>Run 'sh Build' in the sendmail/ directory,   and all the other steps
>listed in listed in the INSTALL document... read it.

i ran 'Build'  is there a difference??

>Once sendmail was installed, I had to manually create a /etc/mail
>directory and copy the generic sendmail.cf from the distribution into
>it.  Both older versions of sendmail.cf that I was using were not
>compatible with 8.10, so I had to start with the generic new version and
>merge any parameters/files/configurations into the generic one.  This is
>where Webmin came in handy.  For instance all my Cw records were all
>listed in sendmail.cf in the old version. In the new version these
>domains are contained in /etc/mail/sendmail.cw, so manual creation of
>these records was necessary.

>The sendmail distribution, by default, anticipates that you are going to be

>running it on a single system ... so there are some assumptions made in
>the generic sendmail.cf that you may not like.  The good news is that all
>this stuff is clearly marked and easy to edit (ie anti spam rules,
>virtual users, etc).

>Finally when sendmail runs it wants to create a /var/run/sendmail.pid
>file.  Make sure that the process can write to that directory.

>The whole upgrade took me about an hour.. so it isn't really that scary.

thanks for the help, any more would be greatly appreciated (i.e. possible
pitfalls, or tricks you've figured out)