Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:00:39 -0500
From:      Dany Nativel <dany_list@natzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GBDE - Destroy command not working

It didn't work but after several other attempts. I've been able to run
it using a specific combination.

So to summarize,  in my case, I can only run "destroy" :
- using external lock files (-l parameter mandatory)
- with the current key only (no -n -1 parameter to say destroy them all)
- using /dev/xxx  (xxx  only doesn't work)

First, what's not working :
--> Without detached lockfile
# kldload geom_bde
# gbde init /dev/da0 -i
# gbde attach da0
# gbde detach da0
# gbde destroy da0
Enter passphrase:
gbde: read: Inappropriate ioctl for device

and also

# gbde destroy /dev/da0
Enter passphrase:
gbde: No -L option and no space in sector 0 for lockfile

--> With detached lockfile
# gbde destroy da0 -l /etc/mykey
Enter passphrase:
gbde: Error 22 decrypting lock

and then

# gbde destroy /dev/da0 -l /etc/mykey
Enter passphrase:
Wrote key 0 at 5371894

And it worked for the current key.

I also tried to use the -n x, --n x parameter (with x= -1, 1) but it
never worked!

At one point I even received  a
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode  (many of them in fact)