Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:04:34 -0700
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SNMP on FreeBSD

Hi,

In an effort to avoid costs and make additional use of
my PC running FreeBSD 3.4 at work, my manager would
like me to install some kind of Network Management
software so that we can monitor a big Exide Powerware
UPS in our data center.

It's my understanding that the first step is to have SNMP
running on my FreeBSD system.  Is there a port or
package I could load to get this going?  Is it even possible
to get SNMP running on 3.4?

As for the Network Management software, I went to:

http://www.powerware.com/products/Software/Onlinet/unixc41.asp

..and they offer several versions of their Onlinet software for
UNIX systems but no mention of *BSD.  Could I download
the one for Linux 2.0 and run it under Linux emulation?

I like to be able to get this to work on my FreeBSD system, rather
than having to purchase third party software to get to run on
WIN NT.

Thanks

Joe