Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:44:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Appletviewer doesn't work on 16bpp server

According to HOSOKAWA Tatsumi:
> Hi!
>
> I installed JDK 1.02 on FreeBSD 2.2-960801-SNAP w/ XFree86 3.1.2G.  I
> found that appletviewer does not work on 16bpp server (of course it
> works fine on 8bpp server).
>
> If I execute appletviewer on 16bpp server, it dies with the following
> error messages.
[..listing of appletviewer dump removed..]

*sigh* How terribly surprising. :-(  Note all the sun.blah.blah in there?
You can get a black and white sun (well, not anymore, maybe, but...) or
you can get one with 8 bpp or one with 24 bpp. Ofcourse their stupid
lib has to segv if you use 16 bpp! It's not even supported in x86 slowlaris
as far as I know. I think it sucks bigtime. That it affects the FreeBSD port
of the JDK is very depressing, though. :-(

   /Mikael