Date:      17 Oct 1999 03:52:45 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some serious gripes about `fdisk' and also `booteasy'.

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@monkeys.com> wrote:

> Will whoever is supporting/maintaining the `fdisk' program *PLEASE* fix it
> so that it displays some sort of a warning when the user is just about to
> partition a SCSI drive for which the on/off status of BIOS address trans-
> lation (for disks larger than 1GB) _cannot_ be automatically and properly
> determined by fdisk itself?

fdisk? What's fdisk? Oh, you mean you don't run your drive(s) in
"dangerously" dedicated mode? I wish I could bring myself to feel
the appropriate amount of sympathy.

> If `booteasy' is unable to boot from a given drive or from a given partition,
> couldn't it at least say something like `Error 473 - Return to continue'?
> I mean I _do_ understand that memory space in the boot routine is very
> minimal, but at least there should be room for something small like that!

There is a total of 446 Bytes available, of which currently six
bytes are unused. The code is in /sys/boot/i386/boot0/, if you have
installed the kernel source.

I guess I'm just mean-spirited today.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de