Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:39:12 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1 Release testing...

Sorry I've been so quiet. It appears that mail to me from freefall has been
hanging up until this morning. At least now I'm caught up (just in time to
change ISPs... ;) )

Anyhow, if everyone is serious about a code freeze on 7/20 for release on
7/25, how about this for a timetable....

ISO images to be cut on 7/14, 7/17, 7/20 (at 'code freeze'), and 7/22.

By 7/24, all feedback in to Jordan for a go/no go decision. If there is still
a show stopping bug, bump the release to 7/28, and roll another RC on 7/25.
Continue bumping the release by 3 days as needed to squish the show-stopping
bugs.

Now, I'm sure Jordan is squirming over bumping back the release date, but I'd
like to remind everyone that on 4.0, Jordan released the image before he read
my mail that we slipped in a bug the night before in sysinstall that causes it
to crash when selecting a custom install. This effectively rendered my 4.0
CDs useless, as every time I want to play with 4.0, I have to go make
floppies to boot from.

Now, with this schedule, it a.) gives people time to download, and b.) we'll
get one full cut of the CD either at 7/20 and/or 7/22, depending on when
Jordan gets the full package set together.

The last thing that needs to be done is we need to pick a machine that has
reasonable speeds for the most people. In the past, this was releng3, but it
no longer seems to be alive. ftp.cdrom.com won't cut it, unless we can all
download at 5am... Suggestions?

Comments?

	-Brian