Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:48:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Spengler <mks@networkcs.com>
To:        unger@informatik.uni-siegen.de (Thomas Unger)
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG, unger@aretha.informatik.uni-siegen.de
Subject:   Re: Efficent card initialization problems

Thomas,

> We have three pools of machines interconnected by ATM: Digital UNIX,
> Linux and FreeBSD 3.2 via Cisco LS1010 switches.
>
> ATM works pretty good, but after  a power cycle of a FreeBSD machine
> there seems to be a card initialization Problem:
>
> When I start ilmid it hammers the switch, LED is constantly on.
> ATM does not work. However, when I boot a different OS on this
> machine (Windows 98 or Linux with ATM support) and then reboot
> again to FreeBSD, ATM works fine.
> We are using this 'setup technique' for quite a while now,
> but this is not very satisfying.
> The cards we use are Efficient 2MB Server veresion, MMF.
>
> Any help including diagnostic suggestions are welcome.

I assume that since you're using ilmid, that you are using the hea driver
for your Efficient card and that you're using the uni30/uni31 signalling
manager?  Please try the following and send me the output.  I'm guessing
there's some miscommunication between ilmid and the cisco's ilmi process.

Before you start ilmid (but after the atm attach command), please run
the following:

	# atm sh config
	# atm sh int

Then start ilmid.  This will output a bunch of debugging info to the file
/var/log/ilmid.

	# ilmid -d 3

Then run,

	# atm sh int
	# atm sh vcc
	# atm sh stats vcc

Hopefully this will give us enough info to figure this out.

Regards

mike

--
Mike Spengler				Network Computing Services, Inc.
Email: mks@networkcs.com		1200 Washington Ave. So.