Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:30:02 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        John/SML <john@sml.citizen.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vsftpd-2.0.6 failed to compile on FreeBSD-4.11-p26

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:24:43AM +0800, John/SML wrote:
>Then, I think the appropriate way to keep up with port updates is to=20
>upgrade from FreeBSD 4.11 to FreeBSD 7. However, it is possible to use the=
=20
>"build world" method to upgrade from 4.11 to 7, or I have to use the=20
>binary upgrade method by using the FreeBSD 7 CD media.

I'll second Mark's recommendation to re-install rather than attempt
a source upgrade.

Note that, whilst your 4.x ports tree will continue to work with 7.x
(assuming you have the relevant compat4x libraries), you will need to
do a complete ports rebuild as soon as you upgrade any port (pretty
much).  (Otherwise, you will wind up linking against different versions
of the same system libraries - a recipe for disaster).

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/--