Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:36:24 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Headless Installation from CDROM

	I posted a question yesterday about how to do a FreeBSD
installation via serial port.  A person nicely reminded me of the
Handbook which has a chapter on "headless installations."  I
wondered how I missed that and then was reminded that I should
have included two more things in my question so here I go again.

	How can I do a headless installation on a system that
only has a CDROM?  The good news is that the disk we are using
was one we burned from an image on one of the FreeBSD mirrors so
I could unpack it and modify whatever I need to and maybe burn
another boot CDROM if that is necessary.

	The systems being installed are IBM Netfinity boxes that
ship with only a CDROM as the boot source and have 2 serial ports.

	The headless installation as described in the Handbook is
precisely what I need to do only I am not sure what must be
modified on the CDROM to make it happen.  This may be an
increasingly common situation as more and more systems do not
have 1.4MB floppies as part of their standard configuration.

	Martin McCormick